Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Last night after dinner watching the sunset we walked into a stone carving store. Tiny handmade marble elephants the size of your pinkie, hollowed out into a cage, with another tinier rougher elephant carved inside, for fifty cents. I feel like a criminal.

We bought material for suits- Zaman a white corduroy, me a brown polyester, for a few dollars each. The tailoring will probably bring it up to ten dollars each. I feel like a criminal.

This morning we got up to catch the sunrise, walking along the river-ghats till we reached Dashaswamedh (Ten-Horse Sacrifice) Ghat, and then had breakfast: curry and four pieces of Indian bread with chutney and sweets. For both of us, with drinks, 75 cents. I feel like a criminal.

Ryan felt sick and couldn't finish his. We paid a rickshaw-wallah to bike us home for 75 cents, which is actually a fair price here. Nevertheless, I feel like a criminal.

The sunrise, however, was priceless.


-Bashu

No comments: