Friday, October 13, 2006

Well, I suppose today is supposed to be unlucky.

It's been pretty good so far.

Zaman and Ryan ordered a guitar each in a little shop in Howrah, but when we came back to pick them up yesterday they were acoustic electrics with round holes, and one was blank grey and the other was pinkish red. They weren't terrible guitars, but they'd both ordered natural wood colour, acoustic guitars with f-holes. So after a certain amount of wombling around, he told us to meet him in College Street in the morning to see his supplier.

We went there this morning, in rain you could cut with a knife, and after some wombling with them they brought out two great-looking guitars, just like the ones ordered. (One was made by "Givson" and the other by "Hovner", but apparently they're pretty big brands so Gibson and Hohner probably already know). Zaman and Ryan also ordered hard shell cases, so they'll probably be brought home, and Kian ordered an acoustic bass. After that, we went off to the planetarium in another bout of rain, and sat through a decent light show with terrible commentary by a lady with an thick accent and a sore throat. You might think all the rain is bad luck, but believe me in Kolkata you're willing to overlook the soaked hair and flooded streets for the cool air and clean city afterwards.

I'm just sitting in the slow-as-dried-up-mustard internet cafe, printing out some guitar tabs - Decemberists, Marcy Playground and Radiohead. It might be raining again outside, but it's hard to tell through the tinted windows. YIPPEE!

Also, now is the time for you start emailing me and telling me what to bring home. Jewelry, linen, strange Oriental fragrances and curiosities. I'm thinking of getting a xylophone. Someone talk me out of it.

-Bashu

P.S. Happy Friday the 13th

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't get a xylophone. You would be too cool for everyone if you did, and we simply cannot have that. I'm terribly sorry, but that's just the way it has to be. In time, you will see that I am right.

Bashu, you know what I want you to do? Give a kid who looks genuinely sad a bit of change for me okay? But not just any kid who looks genuinely sad, you have to really look into his/her eyes for a good few seconds to see if he/she is truly unhappy, and if he/she is, then you can give him/her the change. But here's the catch: you have to think of me while you're giving the kid the change. That way, our brain waves will connect and become in tune and it'll be like I'm giving the money to the child, except I'll be in your body. Okay? Thank you.

And why are you printing our guitar tabs? Please tell me you haven't started playing guitar...

Much love to everyone,
-Tami.